Crafting System Suggestions
Principles behind the following suggestions

The following suggestions are based on the principles of simplicity, things that can be coded with less difficulty and starting from what we already have. Reusability, objects should be reused as much as possible throughout the system. Optimization, objects shouldn't need to consume server resources unless necessary, this is in conjunction with the principle of reusability, so for example spawning things that may not be reused can be a waste of resources and should be avoided imo.

I. Crafting Materials

"Level 0 Materials" - materials found in nature: wood, stone, hide/cloth, metal scraps.
These material can be used to craft low level tools and crafts.
These materials can be "worked on" to produce higher level materials.

"Level 1 Materials" - materials produced from "Level 0 materials".
These materials can be used to craft a bit more advanced tools and crafts.
These materials can be "worked on" to produce some higher level materials aswell.

[Image: koyiER2.jpg]

II. Smelting with a Furnace

In the previous image, you might have noticed that stone and metal scrap are transformed into stone brick and metal bar through the furnace.
  • The furnace will allow transforming stones (or cobblestone) into a more advanced component, e.g stone brick.
  • The furnace will allow transforming metal scraps into a more advanced component, e.g metal bar.

III. More craftable items

[Image: rNTpCsn.jpg]

And the crafting tables for each group level.

[Image: 38GikMi.jpg]

[Image: lqLjEg0.jpg]

IV. Touching on Base Building

As described in Base Building Improvement thread, low level material like wood can be used for early base building. It can then be upgraded by planks, and then by stone bricks* and then by metal bars*. 
(* or similar)

[Image: dDfJRot.jpg]
Note that it says "stone component" and "metal component", meaning that it could require a material that could come from the furnace for example, as explained earlier.

V. Beginner's Gameplay: Early Crafting

As discussed in the Improving Day 1 Experience thread, the beginner's gameplay is currently lacking and broken in terms of ability to craft.

What a proper crafting system should consider is the following:
  • Making crafting tools accessibleFor starter, being able to make a crafting tool easily from surrounding material, e.g “Sharp stone” from stone that is found on the ground. These are considered "primitive tools".
  • Early base-building: Allow building wooden foundations, walls, windowed walls, doors, stairs with wood logs using axe. The difference is the texture of the walls should resemble wood instead of planks and the decay is faster (maybe 3 days)
  • Player defense: For starter, a wooden spear that has a decent range to allow defending against zombies. Some long range weapon like bow aswell. All from surrounding material. These are considered "primitive weapons". 

VI. PvP Crafting

The idea is to bridge the gap between pvp and crafting. By for example having to constantly spend some time crafting your pvp gear : Weapons, protections and munition. This will slow down PvP and balance it by making it require some grind. Also the fact that you'll need to "prepare for PvP" by crafting the tools you need for it first, then having to re-craft them after they're used up.

A small suggestion would be to break weapon down into parts, some parts be spawned, other could be crafted or assembled at a higher crafting level. etc. There is a lot of venues. More ideas are welcome.

Let me hear your opinions, suggestions and remarks. 
updated
I think as a temporary solution, giving people Axe + Toolbox can be a fix for the beginner's crafting issue.

- Yes, it will make crafting a lot easier, but more importantly, it makes it accessible to new players. It's in the best interest of the game to make its content accessible to new players.
- Players who managed to build a base might have more incentives to come back to the game to their base.
- It will extend the play time of new players.
- Old players won't be affected by this as they have no issues with toolbox or axes.
My suggestion about the building materials is to skip logs. So
1. planks (axe)
2. stone (furnace)
3. metal (furnace)

and this will only make sense if both planks and stone are destroyable. else, the longer repair interval is your only advantage.

just had another idea. two stones let you create a flint. same as matches can be used to create fire. for people that do not want the risk of dying from zombies.
(12-13-2019, 04:20 PM)chaozz Wrote: My suggestion about the building materials is to skip logs. So
1. planks (axe)
2. stone (furnace)
3. metal (furnace)

and this will only make sense if both planks and stone are destroyable. else, the longer repair interval is your only advantage.

just had another idea. two stones let you create a flint. same as matches can be used to create fire. for people that do not want the risk of dying from zombies.

but then everyone will upgrade to metal and evryone will have an unraidable base except for newbs.

Let's say hypothetically down the line, you could grind for an item that allowed you to break a base, then for a plank base it could take X of that item and for a stone base it could take more, and even more for metal. Making all kind of bases raidable but to varying degrees of difficulty. In short, yes for short term, the advantage is the longer repair interval but in the long term, it could have more advantages. I didnt not discuss raiding system in this thread but I do have some suggestions in that regard.
I didn't say metal bases would be unraidable.
I said something about lowering the number of building materials to 3, but only if there are more advantages than longer repair intervals.

Oh, and I said something about make fire with stones. Smile
I don't think I understand what you mean.

If you think a "wooden" base is not needed, then it's fine so long as you take my point about "Beginner's gameplay and Early crafting". If beginner's will be able to get a hold of an axe and make a base with planks then I don't see a problem.

As far as the advantages of the different bases, plank base, stone base and metal base, for a starter you have the decay time is different. But it could have more advantages in the future (including advantages related to raiding).

About making fire with 2 stone, seems like a good suggestion on its own as an alternative way of making fire, I didnt comment on it as it doesn't have much impact on the crafting system.
Yes, beginners should be able to find sticks and stones in the forest areas and craft a stone axe with that. For conversion to planks an axe should be enough I guess?
I'm not all for spawning stuff. I assume that in order for people to find sticks and stones easily they'll have to be spawned frequently...now imagine 5 people in-game constantly spawning these items for such a little addition but with such an impact on the master client.

But other than spawning, trees could be both source of sticks and wood, only for wood you need an axe, but with your hand you can only get sticks .
However for stone, I'm not too sure, more ideas welcome.
I'm all for spawning items in. The only performance impact should be when rendering more of them, but there shouldn't be any noticeable difference outside of render distance; if there is, then there's likely an underlying issue with the code. Items should only really need the item id, unique id, and position in the world, and none of it needs to be checked unless there's a spawn timer on it.